A Martian Disaster


A home away from home...
A fascinating thought, right?
Human civilization's new ambition,
The Red Planet in limelight. 

It's the year 2025 now,
Just guess where in I am;
Barren lands engulf me,
I'm separated from my fam. 

I naively gave it all up,
To have my destiny changed;
Boarded the space-bound rocket,
Everyone thought I was deranged. 

2 exciting months they were,
The bling of "First Man on Mars";
Our very landing failed,
Parachute was up in jars. 

Still we set up the station,
Didn't lose euphoric hope;
For mighty mountains we saw,
Through our tiny window scope.

A dark storm hit a lil' too soon,
Went missing half the crew;
Only me and Captain remained now,
And loads of construction was overdue.

Earth's messages were a comfort,
Unfortunately the antenna broke;
Silent tears we shed then,
Accepting survival was merely a joke.

Next day Captain breathed his last,
Turns out, multiple disorders he had;
With me stranded in unfamiliar terrain,
I think I'm starting to go mad. 

Food vanishing day by day,
Water sounds almost alien;
The clock's running backwards,
For this ill-fated mammalian.

So in my memoir I write today,
Pray it finds a rover's trace;
Goodbye all tomorrow I say,
So much for a Tryst with Space!

~Swathya

Comments